I started a new class yesterday and so far it's pretty interesting. Today we talked about labeling people. This has been a big issue for me since I was diagnosed with AD/HD. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says "She's ADD." Umm...no, I'm Krystal. I have AD/HD, but it does not completely define me. It's a part of who I am, and I've learned to cope with it. In fact, I think that if I did not have AD/HD, I would be a totally different person. I'll never forget not long after I was diagnosed with AD/HD, I forgot to do something. My mom said "Oh she's ADD. That's why she did that." Before having AD/HD, she would have had the opposite reaction. Nothing about me changed...just the label, which changed my mom's expectations of me.
Are labels always bad? Not at all. Some kids need those labels to get the services they need.
Okay, enough of my soapbox.
No comments:
Post a Comment