Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting into the swing of things...

Sorry for the lack of posts! It's been pretty busy and I've been tired in the evenings. I'm loving my job and I got some great feedback from a parent the other night. 6th grade curriculum night was last week so I stayed knowing that one of my kid's parents would probably be there. Afterwards we chatted for an hour. She kept talking about how happy she is with what we are doing. It seems that no one has ever taken the time with him since they moved to Kansas when he was little, which is really sad. He's a great kid, but really far behind academically. So I have a huge task of getting him somewhat caught up. She told me that after the IEP meeting before school started she was so happy that she sat in the parking lot and cried for 20 minutes (This was the one that lasted 3 1/2 hours). That just makes it so worthwhile to me, knowing that not only am I making a difference with my kids, but also with their parents. Some things that I'm doing that seem like common sense, like modifying book orders so that they are at his level and not getting 6th grade book orders, were never done for him before. It's also great to see him get excited about books, even though it's a story that's being read to him instead of reading it himself. Gotta start somewhere. So I'll be getting really friendly with the Magic Tree House books. They're pretty good books and go back in history, so he's learning about things on top of it. I'm also enjoying watching the stories signed, since he uses ASL. I don't really understand a whole lot of sign, but I'm learning and it's interesting to watch because there's so much expression involved. However, I still have my reservations about signed approaches, especially now that I'm trying to teach a 6th grader to read and can't really use traditional approaches. So much of reading is hearing, and while he can hear with his implant, attempts to teach him how to use it to listen were aborted when he went to a signing school.
Anyway, enough about that. It's been nice having a long weekend. I've relaxed a bit, but I did have to go up to school yesterday to work on planning since I didn't have plan time last week. Luckily it didn't take me too long. Today I've been trying to work on homework for Children's Lit and Speech and Language Development. It's been really hard trying to fit that in. I'm exhausted at the end of the day and the last thing I want to do is homework. But if I don't finish these classes, I won't have a job after this semester since they hired me contingent on getting provisional authorization for my teaching certificate in January.
9 more days till Chris moves in! I can't wait!
That's about all for now. I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment